Finalisation procedure when buying a house in Italy

Which documents do you need to buy property in Italy?

Documents and formalities:

In order to buy/ sell a property in Italy, there are a couple of fully up-to-date documents needed that the:

The following documents are of importance for the buyer:

1- Italian social-tax payer’s number (codice fiscale), to apply for at the local Tax Office

2- Italian VAT-number (partita IVA) in case you buy as a business, to apply for at the local Tax Office

3- Valid passport or EU identity card (carta d’identità).

4- Documents regarding the “international civil status and marriage lines”. When you are married in community of property, you must both sign and have an international (translated in Italian) wedding certificate from your country. You can request this international document as standard from the municipality where you are married in different languages, including Italian.

5- A bank account in Italy.

6- An Italian mobile phone account (to arrange bank payments and online administration).

7- ANTI- MONEY LAUNDERING NOTICE: This form must be filled out to prove where the money is from. Pursuant to the Anti-Money Laundering Law – AMLL (Legislative Decree no. 231 on November 21st, 2007 and subsequent amendments) when Notaries are performing, on behalf of their clients, any financial or real estate transaction, they must comply with the obligations of appropriate control of their clients. We will send you this form in advance and at the finale contract the notary will help you when you have certain questions.

8- Application form for an entry visa (for non-EU citizens). For citizens from the USA, Israel and Canada you need a tourist entrance for a minimum of 90 days. It is better always to check at your embassy.

No worries, our cooperating agency in Arezzo will guide you free of charge for the under 1 – 2 – 5 – 6 and 7. 

vendor needs to supply:

1- the original title-deed (atto di provenienza): purchase contract, legacy contract, donation contract.

2- building permits (concessioni edilizie, permessi di costruire, DIA, SCIA), in case renovation or restoration work was carried out on the property, and/or amnesty certificates for infringement of building regulations (condono edilizio, concessione in sanatoria).

3- inspection certificates from the land office (visure catastali).

4- cadastral floor plans of the buildings (planimetrie catastali).

5- cadastral surveys of the land (mappe catastali).

6- compliance certificates of the installations for gas, electricity and water (dichiarazioni di conformità degli impianti) and/or the certificate of habitability (certificato di abitabilità).

7- energy certificate (Attestato di Prestazione Energetica APE).

8- certificate of the town planning destination (Certificato di Destinazione Urbanistica CDU) in case the sale concerns also agricultural land.

9- documents regarding the civil status or changes in it, e.g. divorce, decease, legacy contract and such.

10- taxpayer’s code number.

11- identity papers (carta d’identità, passport).